Santa Cruz Local: Election Guide, Nov. 8, 2022: Joy Schendledecker, candidate for Santa Cruz mayor
Meet Joy Schendledecker
- Age: 47
- Residence: Westside Santa Cruz
- Occupation: Mom, artist and community activist
- Local government experience: Schendledecker worked as a community organizer for about 20 years. She called it “fabulous training” to be a leader in local elected positions. “You have boots on the ground experience, you know what people’s experiences are and what they themselves are saying they need from their elected officials.” Schendledecker also served on a board of governors at an elementary school in London for two years.
- Important local issues: Schendledecker said the most pressing issue is working with people who are unhoused or on the verge of homelessness. “The fact that once somebody, generally through no fault of their own, becomes unhoused, they end up deeper and deeper into a hole that’s more and more difficult to get out of. When we enact new ordinances that are particular to people that don’t have housing, I see firsthand how terribly, negatively impactful those can be, including putting people’s lives at risk.” Schendledecker said there was a need for more transparency, more connection to local government and community-driven and community-led participatory processes. “Right now, I think the system we have, very few people actually feel like they know what’s going on and that they have a voice.”
Joy Schendledecker (Contributed)
- What is your dream for the Santa Cruz community? Schendledecker said she wants everyone in the community to be cared for, have a place to live, have access to a social safety net, have good job opportunities and good wage opportunities, and have safe, affordable housing near where they work to help create community connection.
- Fun fact: Schendledecker calls herself a “garbage geek,” and acknowledges her interest in “discard studies.” That relatively new field, she explained, crosses over a lot of disciplines; as an artist, she’s excited by the landscape and understanding how to view the waste through a new lens to better understand the world and power struggles.
“Discard studies is amazing, it gets me fired up,” she said.
Here are some of Joy Schendledecker’s positions on issues brought forward by voters. Responses have been edited for length and clarity.
Santa Cruz Local: Election Guide, Nov. 8, 2022: Joy Schendledecker, candidate for Santa Cruz mayor Meet Joy SchendledeckerAge: 47Residence: Westside Santa CruzOccupation: Mom, artist and
Fred Keeley and Joy Shendledecker – KSQD Talk of the Bay with Host Rachel Anne Goodman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92yUvvNXoKo&t=430s Talk of the Bay, Rachel Anne Goodman welcomes
Critical Conversations on Affordable Housing in Santa Cruz with Fred Keeley and Joy Schendledecker
Santa Cruz mayoral candidates speak against downtown expansion plan Both feel the project needs to be reevaluated By Aric Sleeper | email@example.com |PUBLISHED: October 27,
ACLU Santa Cruz Candidate Mayoral and District Supervisor Forum View Video Here
Lookout candidate forum: Joy Schendledecker and Fred Keeley, Santa Cruz mayoral candidates, Parts 1–3
Lookout candidate forum: Joy Schendledecker and Fred Keeley, Santa Cruz mayoral candidates, Parts 1–3 Lookout Santa Cruz On Thursday, Oct. 13, Lookout Santa Cruz hosted